Sunday 1 January 2012

Writing a Song

I mentioned this on Twitter the other day but wanted to share a bit more about my last writing experience.  I think it is very common for songwriters to run out of things to say in a song or different creative ways to say it.  I haven't had that problem before, but with the move to Mississauga, learning a ton of covers and focusing on promoting my "Every Time You Smile" EP, I haven't even tried writing a song.
A few days after Christmas I sat down to have a coffee with my wife (Sarah) and my mother who had put her back out and was chair-ridden for several days.  Figuring that I had a captive audience, I share with her all that has been going on with regard to our time in Mississauga and what the future holds.  In talking about places where we have been and lived and people that we have been blessed enough to have in our lives, I started getting a feeling like I wanted to go be alone for a while with my guitar.  It's like something comes over me.  A feeling, or sensation that it is time to write another song.
I have found in the past when this happens, that the lyrics and the melody come together simultaneously and the whole shebang is done in a matter of minutes.
I was feeling kind of folky so it's pretty "finger picky" and pretty reflective.  I was also listening to Josh Ritter at the time so it probably has some of his influence in it too.
It's called "Trying to Find a Home"and it is auto biographical as we look at what and where we move to next.
Shortly after I had finished the song, I returned to my mother who had managed to move herself from her chair to the couch and sang her the brand new song.
She got teary eyed and said, "You just wrote that now?" followed by "Darin, It's absolutely beautiful" followed by, "but it needs to be longer."  "I want to hear more about this journey and it's just not long enough".  So it's back to the drawing board to add in a bridge and a bit more to the chorus.
The whole experience was pretty sweet though and I'm pretty excited to add this song into the mix of my live shows.
More on this song and hopefully a recording to follow soon.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncle Nathan